Travel Topics / Passports


A passport is one of the most important things you need if you want to go abroad. A passport is a document that looks like a very small book. It's a form of identification (like a driver's license) that proves a person's citizenship and allows them to travel to and from countries. 

If you're a U.S. citizen and you don't have your passport yet, you can apply for a passport on campus! All you need to do is make an appointment at the Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility at the Student Center. They'll help you with any questions on the paperwork, including where you can find that paperwork. It can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to get your passport after you apply, so do this as soon as you can. If you wait too long,  you may have to pay extra to rush your application so that you can get your passport more quickly. 

Make sure you have all the needed forms of identification (driver's license, social security card, birth certificate, etc), and that you've completed all paperwork before your appointment. 

If you can't make it to the on-campus passport office, the U.S. Department of State website has all of the information, steps, and paperwork that you'll need to apply for a passport. 

Most of the time you'll have to pay for your passport with either a check or money order, so check online for information about passport fees.

Like we said, a passport is one of the most important documents you can have if you travel.

It's always a good idea to make copies of your passport too. Leave at least one at home with family or friends, and be sure to take a copy with you while abroad. This will be useful in case you need to apply for an emergency replacement passport while you're abroad.

Things to Know:

  • Your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months after your program.
  • Make a color copy of your passport and leave it with your emergency contact.
  • A member of your family should have a passport just in case of emergency.